Welcome back! April showers brings May flowers... but I wonder what April snow brings? Even though we have barely had any official spring weather, we can still keep on track with our health! Have you come across any great recipes you would like to share? If so, please send them here and I can share them on next month's blog! Keep up that motivation...summer is just around the corner! Besides, when you eat and drink healthier and exercise, you just FEEL better. That is the most important goal of all!
Don’t Drink Your Calories
Just like food, beverages may contain hidden calories. The calories in beverages add up quickly and may cause you to gain weight. Making a few changes to your beverage choices could help make changes to your weight. You don’t have to entirely give up your favorite beverage in order to cut back on the calories you’re consuming. Here are some tips on how to cut back without cutting something out of your diet completely:
• Request that your coffee drink be made with low-fat or skim milk instead of whole milk.
• Order the smallest size available, even if it’s a child’s size.
• Skip extra flavorings (like vanilla, hazelnut or caramel)—they are sugar-sweetened and will add calories.
• Say no to whipped cream on top as it adds calories and fat.
• Ask for your smoothie without sugar added—the fruit is already naturally sweet.
Remember, getting healthy doesn't mean you have to always deprive yourself of treats. Give yourself freedom to indulge here and there as a treat to yourself so you never feel deprived, which can then turn into over-indulging. Give yourself goals, and when you meet those goals, have a pre-determined treat. We look forward to any input you have! Try this recipe and let us know what you think. See you in May!
Crunchy Vegetable Wraps
· ¼ cup low-fat whipped cream cheese
· 2 flour tortillas
· ½ tsp. ranch seasoning mix
· ¼ cup broccoli (chopped)
· ¼ cup carrot (grated)
· ¼ cup zucchini (cut into strips)
· ¼ cup yellow summer squash (cut into strips)
· ½ tomato (diced)
· 2 Tbsp. green bell pepper (diced)
· 2 Tbsp. chives (finely chopped)
1. In a small bowl, stir ranch seasoning into cream cheese. Chill.
2. Steam broccoli in microwave for 1 minute with 1 Tbsp. of water.
3. Spread cream cheese onto flour tortilla, staying one inch from edge. Sprinkle vegetables over cream cheese. Roll tortilla tightly.
4. Chill for 1 to 2 hours before serving (the wrap will hold its shape better). With a sharp knife, slice into circles and serve.